Signs You Can Do A Shared Custody Agreement To Avoid A Custody Trail: What To Know

If you were never married to the person that you had a child with and the two of you are having some disagreements about sharing time and responsibility, it may be time to talk with a lawyer. You don't have to go through a huge custody battle to work out your problems, and instead the two of you can create a shared parenting agreement civilly.

With one lawyer, the two of you can decide where the child is going to be and when, and if money is going to be paid to one of the parents as support. Here are a few signs that you don't need a huge trial, and instead just a simple mediation session.

You Can Talk Out the Problems

Can the two of you work out the decisions that have to be made about the child, and you don't need a judge to make your decisions? If so, the two of you can go over the shared parenting plan and make a list of the different things that you want, and a lawyer can mediate any of the concerns or conflicts that either one of you have with the other.

You Both Don't Want to Pay for Lawyers

Why pay for two different lawyers to work towards doing the same thing, when you can just use one lawyer to negotiate the shared parenting agreement. This can cut the cost of the lawyer fees in half, and then you don't have to worry about miscommunications or waiting for two lawyers to communicate with each other.

You Don't Want the Child Involved

If you don't want your child to have to take the stand, or meet with a judge to talk about what they want, then you don't have to put your child in the middle when you pick a shared parenting custody agreement. This is the easiest option for the child, because they don't have to feel like they are picking sides.

There are a lot of different reasons why you may decide that it's the time in your life, and in your child's life, to make the agreement that you have with the other parent legal. Talk with a local family lawyer to see if they can sit down with the both of you to go over the agreement, and talk with the other parent to make sure you are both on the same page. Visit a law firm, such as the Watson Law Firm, for more information.